Friday, February 13, 2009

Back to School

Well, as promised, My wife has started repairing all the dead computers around here, and the first to be resurrected was my development system, aka "Minotaur".

It was a real pain getting windows up, due to it having a different motherboard than the old drivers expected, but eventually I got it up far enough to install the new drivers. For anyone curious, I went with an Asus M3N78-Pro, though now I will need to upgrade the CPU and memory at some point, to take advantage of the new board. I've always been a Gigabyte guy in the past, but over the past year or so Ive had at least 3 Gigabyte boards die for no real reason, so its time to see what else is out there. So far Im impressed with the Asus board.

Minotaur is still as good as it ever was. Surprisingly the problem with my wireless mouse suddenly not working remains - it must be a problem in the driver that came with it. Looks like I'll be swapping back to the tethered mouse I was using before.

The first thing I did was to check all my Gmax models and everything else related to this project, and its all fine. Then I realised that Ive forgotten how to drive Gmax, which is kind of embarassing. Even simple things like rotating the camera around to see the model from different angles are eluding me at the moment, so its back to school, to re-learn Gmax. Ugh. It shouldn't be so bad - once I remember the basics I should be back into it in no time.

To get Windows up, I had to break the mirror that my hard drives were a part of, but now that I have the new motherboard drivers installed, I should be able to get the raid array set up again soon. I feel better when I have redundant copies of my data around.

So now Im off to re-learn Gmax, and get the system set up the way I like it again.

No comments: