Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Latest Tangara Progress

I started out doing daily updates, but I figure that no-one really checks here that often, so for simplicity, Im going to update weekly, usually on Monday nights, with occasional updates in between, if needed.

This week, the major changes are that Ive completed the underside and started on the gangway. I also fixed a lot of things that were not quite right - with Gmax I guess you are always doing that. Theres over 1600 verticies in the model so far, and as new bits are added many of the older ones need a little tweaking to get them into the right position, and to reduce the poly count. All that tweaking takes time, and Im also trying to spend a bit more time with my wife.

In the picture, you can just see the drivers console, which I added recently. You may also notice the bottom (outside) of the stairs. I still have a bit of detailing to do on the underside, such as compressors, tanks etc, but Im not going to go overboard on it. (Ie: Im not going to model every last pipe).

I started on the gangway from the inside, so from this angle you cant really see much of the detail yet. Don't panic, Im not going overboard here either. Im adding enough detail that you will get the overall look and feel of a Tangara, without seeing every last rivet. I havn't added any textures yet, and some of the minor detail will be contained within those (EDR hatches, Access panel outlines etc). I have read that to create a good 3D model, you shouldnt fake too much detail, and that is what Im aiming for. Im adding what detail I can, while still keeping an eye on the total poly count.

Anyway, the final model will speak for itself. I want it to generate a "Wow! Thats really cool!" reaction - thats what Im aiming for. It will go beyond most of the generic stuff you find on the DLS, as far as features and effects go. Once I have finished the model, and built the trailer, it will still take me a few extra weeks to write some scripts for it. I have big plans, and Im pretty sure that all of my ideas are possible. Then it will be time for a little alpha testing, before its sent to the beta testers for a couple of weeks, and finally to the DLS. dont bug me about being a beta tester yet - I'll let you know when to email me.

On Saturday I wandered down to Central Station, jumped on a Tangara and recorded the door sounds (opening and closing) as well as engine sounds - though the Tangara is fairly quiet on the inside, so I probably got more air-conditioning noise than engines. I got on and off a number of trains and went all over the place, from Strathfield to Wolli Creek.

I plan to make another trip next week, and will probably sit at a station for a while, and record them as they come and go. I noticed that you get a better sound in the Underground stations, and since most of the Tangara fleet lives on the Illawarra line, I'll probably be sitting on Platform 25 at Central for a while. I particularly want to capture the whiney sound they make at low speed, while accellerating or decellerating slowly.I also want to get some photos from above (from a bridge) for the pantograph layout. Wolli Creek will be good for that, as are a number of places.

All of the sounds will be edited and added to the model. The door sounds will be heard as the doors operate, and I will see how I go with the engine sounds.

Poly Count: 2400
File Version: 140 Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

its looking really great. i know i am one who is checking your page daily for updates. and each update brings a bit more excitement.
keep up the good work
ky

Anonymous said...

Looking fantastic Wylie. Can't wait 'til it hits the DLS. Glad you spent some more time with your wife over the holidays. I know how time-consuming Trainz can be and the effect that can have on relationships.

Peter Leyshan said...

I've also been checking your page daily for updates on the Tangara. You have a WOW! from me already, just from reading what is to come sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wylie
You are certainly taking on a huge project. And I like the way you are thinking!!
2006 offers us such a big advance in Train Simulations, (or at least it will when theService Pack finally debugs it)
Few are prepared to produce the models that use all these features. I like your "sounds" and perhaps others will decide to stretch the envelope as well
Cheers
Rod

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I like what you're doing with this, been waiting for a tangara for ages :P
Well when you get this done, can you reskin it to be the Melbourne 4D please? That would be awesome :D

Good luck with the rest of this