Wednesday, January 03, 2007

86 Class Update

A few months back, before I disappeared I mentioned that I had done some more work on the 86 Class but didnt post any pictures of it at the time. Here are the latest shots, as of today.

After installing Gmax and other tools on the new graphics machine (I call it Minotaur - its easier to call it by name in future) the first thing I did was finish off the basic structure of the 86 Class cab. When I left it, there were a few problems with the front windows and I had not created any of the window sills (front or side) that join the interior and the body together. Thats all been done, so now I just have a few more details to finish off, such as the gauges on the drivers console etc.

As mentioned before, all of the attachment points for the levers and dials that have been added so far are there - I just have them turned off in the pictures so that they show the model better.

Basically I removed the interior's front windows completely and replaced them with a copy of the body's front windows, but moved back a little, so that they would be in alignment with the body. Then I just had to move a few vertices around and weld everything together. I created the sills and realigned the console so that it joined with the new front wall, and that was about it for this session. The interior and body now fit together perfectly.

My web server died - the one whose disks I am upgrading. It keeps resetting every few minutes for no apparent reason and no amount of reseating cards, replacing cables, or cleaning away the dust seems to make any difference. I have one more thing to try, but the next step will be to borrow the HTPC's motherboard and use that temporarily. The poor HTPC is starting to look like an empty shell as I continue to borrow parts from it. My wife (who helped pay for it) is starting to wonder when she will be able to use it. Doh! Did I mention I hate computers?

File Version: 86
Poly Count: 6601

Note: The poly count shown here is for the gmax model in progress. The count will generally be higher than that of the finished in-game model since it includes various tools and other pieces which may not be part of the final model. LOD modelling will further reduce in-game polygons.

1 comment:

Designer Hermes handbags said...

Hey Wylie,

Good to see you back. The 86 class sure is going along well, keep up the good work :D Looking foward to both 86 and Tangara trains.

-Dragons754