Saturday, March 18, 2006

86 Class Progress

Well, I had planned to build this later, but since I have started it, I guess I should post progress reports.

Sometimes you just have to do certain things. Building the 86 class is kind of like that. I know I have other things that people are waiting on, such as the V Sets, but I cant just build things for other people - sometimes I just have to build things for me too, and this is one of those things. The V Sets should be the next to be started.

As I said before, im building half of the 86 class, and will be mirroring the other half. There are a couple of small differences between the ends, which I will tweak after mirroring, so as to retain the seperate No. 1 End and No. 2 End look and feel.

I have been concentrating on the yellow base and the end plate, and have just finished the Multiple Unit receptacles on this side. I still have to build the one on the other side which takes the cable from the other unit. I will be adding the cable later when I do the air hoses.

It took me a little while to get the "Roo Scoop" right, and properly integrated into the plate. (Hey, Im not an civil engineer, so I'll call the parts what I like :). The problem was that due to the foot-holes already being cut out there were a lot of verticies and faces to deal with... but its done now.

As you can see, my drawing has a lot of detail, especially for the bogies (which is unusual), but the one thing it doesnt have are dimensions. Luckily, I know the overall dimensions, and have a pocket calculator handy to work out the rest. The pantograph on the drawing, isnt very detailed but we have a few spares of the same type of pantograph at the HET workshops, so if I need some up close and personal detail, I have it covered, The 86 class also used another type of panto, similar to that on the Tangara model, so I guess I'll be borrowing from that one as well. I think these alternate pantos were field repacements.

The next moves from here will be to finish the end plate detail, and then think about cutting out the interior and windows / doors etc.

File Version: 41
Poly Count: 4200 Posted by Picasa

No comments: