Monday, March 13, 2006

Tangara Progress

Ok, so its been a while since I updated this page, but I have been busy working on the Tangara and other things... I just havnt been writing about them.

So here is the latest picture of the base Tangara model. I have completed the interior (for the external view anyway) and Im starting to work on the exterior detail. I recently added the steps at the front (foot-holes) and as you can see, Im still finishing the ones at the rear.

Ive totally redone the door animation and completed all of the passenger side doors. The animation includes the mechanism and the twisting poles at each door. Its fairly simple, but there is a little detail that can only be seen through the windows on the opposite side... that should keep you busy.

Speaking of the doors, as you can see, Ive added the window panes. Still no textures just yet, which is why they appear solid. I'll add the windows on the body later. The next thing I have to work on is the front and rear end detail, such as the rounded edges, wipers, and emergency door handles at the front etc. Before I start on the wipers I will have to export the door animation so I can start on the wiper animation without the two of them clashing.

The last major component, which I havnt started on, is the pantograph. I still havnt decided whether to make one or just use an existing one. I'll probably make one. Its not that hard.

If you have followed this blog, you will know that Ive been working on the Tangara, on and off, since November last year - thats almost six months. After a while, your brain tends to go numb due to looking at the same verticies again and again, and you need to work on something different for a while. So far, I have been doing a few smaller projects occasionally to get away from the Tangara when I need to.

I really should finish the buffer stops that I started on ages ago, but I have been thinking more and more about the 86 Class electric locomotives, which have always been my favourite. Several weeks ago, I walked down to Eveleigh and photographed the four 86 Class locos there since this could be my last chance to get detailed photos of them... who knows when Railcorp will move them, or return them to Silverton.

Last week I went down to the ARHS Research room (Did I mention that I love living so close to Eveleigh / Redfern?) and picked up a couple of drawings and took some hires scans. Then I fought with Gmax for a few days until it finally gave in and showed the scans in detail (instead of blurred as it had been doing). The original idea, as mentioned earlier, was just to set up a base to be used later.

So much for that idea. Surprisingly I havnt really spent a huge amount of time on it, though there have been a few bits that took a lot longer than they should have, such as the various holes which had to be cut out - they were a real pain. The good news is that since the 86 Class are double ended, I only have to do them once. Im building half a locomotive, and will simply mirror it later to create the other half.

For now, Im alternating between the 86 Class and the Tangara. If you look at the file version of the Tangara (below) and compare it to previous posts, hopefully you can see that it is still progressing. I can't wait to get the control trailer into Trainz for a test run, and then start on the scripting while I create the motor carriage from the base.

I have plans for quite a lot of scripting... hopefully Trainz will be co-operative. Im planning some unique features as well as building on existing assets to include some of the features found in the better models out there. (ie: things like driver and lights changing ends, to name an obvious one). I can't tell you too much about the unique features, because I dont want to spoil the surprise... Lets just say that Im not aware of any other assets that will do what Im thinking of.

Its been a long wait, and there is still more to be done, but I plan on making the wait worthwhile.

Tangara Poly Count: 8995 (excluding bogies)
File Version: 270

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! The Tangara is looking great. Keep up the good work Wylie.

Anonymous said...

oh my god i can almost taste it. great work wylie. thanx for all of you time and effort on this. it wont go unappreciated.
-ky

Anonymous said...

That tangara is EASILY going to be the coolest single piece of STA/NSWGR rolling stock in TRS to date.

I love the Endeavour and Xplorer sets on the DLS, but this will EASILY match them.

Take as long as you need to mate, it's going to be so awesome when it's done, and I'm looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work,
Raichase