Saturday, December 10, 2005

Computer Problems

1 Pm
Ugh! Computer problems really suck. My PC is still acting weird. Meanwhile, Ive been studying all I can about textures, and have finally found a method that works for me (Many havn't worked). Ive been trying it out on one of the Buffer Stops, since being bascially four chunks of wood, its simple and quick to build. I'll post a pic, and a bit more info, once my PC is working again. Im planning a photo-trip later today for a few more research pics.

7 Pm
I finally gave up on trying to enforce my will on my Windows PC and instead adjusted my expectations to match the reality. The PC (Both its BIOS and Windows) is now doing whatever the heck it wants, with the added emphasis that it is now at least doing something. In the end, I reverted back to its old BIOS. Windows finally co-operated after several failed reboot attempts, and came up properly. The most frustrating part is that the BIOS bug (which I am now thinking is a motherboard fault) causes a 10 minute delay during each reboot (and Ive done several today). for example, Try reversing out the new bios, flashing the backup ROM as well, and then booting windows (an attempt anyway), and theres 30 minutes of waiting time right there!

As noted above, I went for a walk earlier, after being frustrated by my PC. I took a few photos at Redfern and Central, and while I was at the Sydney Terminal part of Central, I stumbled upon the historic "Cockatoo Run" pulling in to Platform 1 after a tour, and took a few snaps of 4306 and 44211.

Anyway, due to my productive PC time being limited today to only a few minutes at a time, I have been playing with Gmax Textures and finally have a method that works. Im using Multi-Materials, and also using LithUnwrap to create the texture templates which I can simply repaint later.

The picture above is the Buffer that I have been working on, with a very rough test texture applied to it. The texture is currently the raw repaint master template created by LithUnwrap with about 30 seconds of work done to it to give it the black front.

While I was at Sydney Terminal I discovered some more detail which I need to apply (It wasnt apparent in the photos I was working from), so before I start setting it up to be tested in Trainz, I will have to go back and add the missing detail, then retexture it again. There will be two versions - a simple one similar to this which is often found at the end of the line (ie: Nowra), and the Sydney Terminal style with their "feet" and lights. (You''ll understand the "feet"thing when I post a pic of one).

I finally figured out why I havnt seen a lot of my wife recently. Apparently she moved out a couple of weeks ago due to my spending so much time at the computer recently. I hadn't noticed, though it has been a bit quieter lately.

Im kidding. She's due home in an hour, so I had better make the most of the remaining time.

I should be getting back to the Tangara tomorrow. I know thats what you are really waiting for.

No comments: