Sunday, December 04, 2005

Redfern Workshopz


I put a banner together to use in the forums. Its true, Im new to Trainz, and I havn't uploaded any content yet, but as they say good things are worth the wait. Im a geek, and I pick up new stuff fast. Ive only been using Gmax a few weeks, and Im progressing well. Ive read the Content Creation Guide and it makes sense and I understand the key concepts, and know what I need to do to build models that will work, and work as I have promised below.

Trainz is a great program, and if we all get together and fill it with some good content, we all win. Im concentrating on my corner of the world, and I plan to see it through, over time. The banner is to show that Im serious about that.

There is (or was) a huge group of people who were inspired enough to start building almost the whole Sydney Cityrail network. Alas one by one they seem to have found other interests, many of them (according to forum posts) frustrated by the lack of suitable Sydney or NSW content, which they needed to model our rail network. The guys from Cardiff Workshops have been a tremendous help, giving us some high quality local content, but more can be done. Hopefully as more NSW based assets are created, some of the Cityrail route creators may return and complete what they have started.

About the name
Sydney's electric suburban passenger network began in the early 1900's. As the railway grew, a large workshop sprang up at Eveleigh, in the inner city, and the existing Redfern platorm (it wasnt even a station at that stage) was relocated from where the Eveleigh workshops are now, to its present location. The original electric passenger trains, affectionately known later in life as "Red Rattlers" were built during the 20's and 30's in the Redfern Suburban Carriage Workshops, a part of the Eveleigh Workshops, located on the other side of the line, near the present Redfern Station.

Sadly the Redfern workshops were closed many years ago, and are now just derelict buildings. There are plans to redevelop the site and we may lose the heritage value of the buildings. The Eveleigh workshops across the line are still operating, though at a greatly reduced capacity. They are currently used to house and prepare the Milenium Train, and Endevour Explorers. A small section at Eveleigh houses 3801, the most well known heritage steam locomotive in NSW, which is still running tour trains from time to time (See the photo in the archive). Eveleigh is a shadow of its former self, and large sections have already been redeveloped. With the rise in price of inner city land, its only a matter of time until it is closed forever. That may happen sooner than we think as Railcorp have indicated that they will not be renewing the operators lease of 3801, when it expires next year. The future of the locomotive, and the facilities to maintain it at Eveleigh are in doubt.

All of this is just down the road from me, so when I was thinking of a name to tag my Trainz content creations with, living in Redfern, it was only natural to call it Redfern Workshopz.

Blah. I type too much, and I still didnt say half of what I was going to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO
Another late night I see.
I dunno about the others but my South coast section of cityfail is coming along nicely.

I have all the track laid between Waterfall and Nowra, signalled and speedlimited. I have been testing it and currently have 18 trains running at once with not too many dramas. Slows down and gets the shudders after about half an hour but I only have an AMD 1.1 gig machine. I just save it and come back. Have run for 12 hours game time and still works ok.

I have just started doing some scenery at starting at Nowra when I realised I am not really familiar with the line past Kiama so I am planning a trip to Nowra in the next few weeks. As a result I went to the other end and have begun textures, trees, buildings etc at the Waterfall end.

Not too bad in Surveyor but appalling fps in driver. I only added textures some trees and a few houses. There isnt much at Waterfall. The catanery is going to kill it completely.

I need a new pc!!!!

Anyway keep up the good work and thanks.
Oh and look after ya missus :P

mikkk

Anonymous said...

I live on the south coast line at Woonona. I have been waiting so long for some one to make the south coast line from Waterfall to Nowra!

Great work! When will it be released and where?

Anonymous said...

gday mate im a trainz nerd myself your 86 class looks mad it says payware how much and when can i get it