Saturday, December 03, 2005

Half a skirt is better than none

Its almost 8am. Here is a side on shot so you can see the skirt beginning to take shape. Notice the flattened areas over the wheels. This is the fruits of last night's labour. The MSTS models I've seen screenshots of dont have those! Ha! :)

I've only done the side that you can see, and when its a bit more finished, I'll make a copy and flip it over to the other side. Doing it that way means I dont have to do all the fiddly stuff twice, and the two sides will be a mirror image of each other.

I spent a lot of time browsing forums and searching for some Gmax tricks to make it easier. It paid off. Not only did I find the technique I used on part of the skirt, but I also found some very useful goodies in source form, which I can use later. I've always planned for my Tangara to have all the features I would expect to see as a downloader, such as lights, animation, a driver, working cab, visible passengers etc, and these finds will save me heaps of time later, not having to create a lot of things from scratch. I have also got to build the trailer, but that will be based heavily on this model, as will the G sets (Outer Suburban Tangara).

This is probably a good time to warn you that the Tangara will be for TRS2006 - at least as it will be released. If someone can make it work in TRS2004, thats great, but since I dont have TRS2004, I'll be building it for what I do have.

Having said that, I am using the TRS2004 Content Creators Guide as a reference, until the kind folk at Auran release the new version, so it will probably work with TRS2004. This will definately be Freeware, but I'm aiming for low poly, high quality, and am seriously considering Payware releases in the future. Its a lot of work to build one of these, and the hours I spend at the computer put a strain on the relationship with my wife, who also needs my attention sometimes.

Current Poly Count: Around 320. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know my ex didnt like me staying up all night playing with trains LOL