Sunday, December 11, 2005

Textures are a pain

I spent last night mapping faces on the Train Stop to a texture file. I ended up with 34 faces, which to me seems like too many - especially considering they all map to the same file. Im wondering how Trainz handles that (will it keep 34 copies of the texture image in memory?). In the Flight Simulator world, the normal practice is to place all of the textures (diferent views of the plane) into one big file. That seems fairly normal to me, but the Trainz assets I have seen all seem to have multiple texture files with a few pieces in each one. The FlightSim way seems tidyer to me, so that is the approach I am taking initially.

The picture above is really rough. I threw together a basic texture image to get the mapping done. I did it a slightly different way, mapping all of the 34 faces to three different texture blocks within the file, rather than using LithUnwrap to map each face to a seperate region of the file. The picture is missing the animated trip lever, but you can see b.r.main, the small wireframe dummy that controls the animation. I will play around with the texture some more next time, but for now the hard part (the mapping) is done. I discovered a few components that will need to be mapped seperately if I want to add detail to them. I havnt mapped the trip lever yet.

Provided my wife doesnt want to drag me to the beach tomorrow or something, I should get some more done on the Tangara. Most of that time will probably be spent re-adjusting everything since Mikkk has provided some extra dimensions that I didnt have before. More work, but It has to be done.

Sleep is good.

No comments: